Morgan County Commission Chairman Ray Long issued a State of Emergency due to the Coronavirus crisis and closed the Morgan County Courthouse and all County offsite offices effective March 17, 2020. Morgan County Courthouse will re-open on Monday May 4, 2020.
Please see the following guidelines put in place temporarily for Morgan County Commissioner of License Office:
Morgan County Commissioner of License office/Morgan County Courthouse located at 302 Lee Street NE, Decatur, will be open from 8:00am – 4:00pm, Monday – Friday.
Hartselle and Lacey’s Spring Satellite offices will remain closed temporarily.
Beginning Monday May 18, 2020, our office will open to walk-in customers. Due to maintaining social distancing we must control the number of customers in our office at one time. Please see the following:
- All customers will enter through the second floor entrance of the Courthouse. The parking lot for this entrance is located on Cain and Line Street.
- Please check in at the table located outside the second floor entrance. We will sign you in. You may be asked to wait outside if we have exceeded the number of customers in our office at your arrival time.
- We will not be taking walk-in customers for vehicle/boat tag registration renewals for those customers who are registered in Morgan County unless there is a Mandatory Liability Insurance issue. Please see the guidelines for vehicle/boat tag registration renewals.
Please see the following for vehicle/boat tag registration renewals:
You may renew your vehicle/boat tag registration by mail. Mail your check or money order made out to: Sharon Maxwell, Commissioner of License along with your vehicle/boat tag registration renewal notice. You must sign your renewal notice and include a contact number.
You may renew online at www.altagrenewals.com/morgan
. Your web code can be found on your renewal notice or you may use the registered owner’s driver’s license number. Payments are made by debit/credit card.
Please call our office if you have a Mandatory Liability Insurance violation, revocation or tag surrender, for documents you will need to provide before coming to our office.
Please provide the following for out of county vehicle/boat tag registration renewals:
- Two pieces of mail with the registered owners name and Morgan County address.
- Paper copy of proof of insurance. (required only for motor vehicle)
- Driver’s License. If two owner’s, driver’s license for both. (paper copy accepted)
- Last registration or out of county renewal notice.
Please see the following for online vehicle registration:
For vehicle purchases from an Alabama Automobile Dealer, whereas the Alabama Automobile Dealer has issued an Alabama Title Application, you may register online at www.easytagal.com
. There is a $10.00 fee charged by the software company for this service. This service is also available for those who have a lien on the vehicle, whereas the Title Application has been issued by a Lienholder located in the State of Alabama. Please note, there are some tags that will not be available with this service due to certain documentation needed. Please follow the instructions. Once complete our office will mail your tag/registration.
Please see the following for Hunting and Fishing License:
100% Physically Disabled Resident Hunting and Fishing License the following is required:
- Document from Social Security Administration that applicant is disabled, or receiving SSI or SSDI benefits. Document must be dated within the year of purchase date. Driver’s License or Non-Driver’s ID required.
- For Hunting/Fishing License renewals or any other Hunting/Fishing License, you may purchase in our office or visit www.outdooralabama.com. We encourage you to purchase or renew online at this time.
Please see the following for Handicap Placards:
If you do not wish to visit our office for a Handicap Placard, you may mail your Handicap form to our office. You may print a Handicap form from this website or your Doctor’s office should have forms. Please fill out the top of the form with your name, address, telephone number and signature. Have your Doctor’s office fill out the bottom portion and sign. Mail the form along with a copy of your Driver’s License or Non-Driver’s ID to:
Sharon Maxwell, Commissioner of License
302 Lee Street NE
Decatur, Al 35601
Please refer to options listed on this website for documents you will need when registering your vehicle. If you do not have all documents required you will need to come back with the required documents. We ask you to bring paper copies of all documents required at this time. We will not be taking information from your cellphone or electronic devices. We will not be accepting any emails or faxes to our office at this time.
Title applications will not be processed after 3:30pm.
Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and patience with us during this COVID-19 pandemic crisis. We appreciate you working with us to help keep you and our office staff safe and healthy.
Sharon Maxwell, Morgan County Commissioner of License